Oakland County Michigan Works! Oak Park strives to ensure that all Veterans and Transitioning Service Members have access to the tools needed to find good jobs with good wages and career pathways.
Training opportunities including, on-the-job training and apprenticeships are available for eligible veterans.
Priority of Service
Oakland County Michigan Works! Oak Park provides priority of service to all veterans and eligible spouses who receive services under any qualified job training program funded in whole or in part by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Oakland County Michigan Works! Oak Park will ensure that covered persons are made aware of:
- Their entitlement to Priority of Service;
- The full array of employment, training, and placement services; and
- Any applicable eligibility requirements for those programs and/or services and to ensure the right of eligible covered persons to take precedence over eligible non-covered persons in obtaining services.
Employment Initiatives and Resources for Veterans
VETERANS.GOV is designed to be the virtual “first stop” in the employment search process for veterans, transitioning service members, and their spouses — and for employers in the hiring process.
The site brings together job banks, state employment offices, American Job Centers, opportunities in top trending industry sectors, and employer assistance all in one online spot.
If you’re a veteran or service member looking for your first civilian job after the military, wanting a career change, or hoping to start your own business, VETERANS.GOV is your go-to site for resources that will help you chart a new path.
For Job Seekers
- Connect with one-on-one assistance in the nearly 2,400 American Job Centers located conveniently in communities around the country;
- Explore Veterans’ Job Bank/National Labor Exchange online job listings;
- Search career paths by industry, by similarity to military careers, or by keyword;
- Locate approved local training programs, colleges and universities;
- Access resources from Federal partners to connect with industry career programs in sectors including agriculture, transportation, energy/utilities, homeland security, and employment in the federal government;
- Learn how to start a business; and
- Link to the Veterans Employment Center (VEC) portal.
Veteran Career Advisor (VCA)
VCAs provide intensive employment assistance to eligible Veterans who have special employment and training needs, in order to assist them to overcome barriers that prevent them from obtaining meaningful employment. VCAs apply a case management approach and access a broad network of providers and resources for eligible Veterans to achieve their employment goals.
NOTE: Visit your Oakland County Michgian Works office to see if you meet eligibility to talk with a VCA. Identify yourself as a Veteran and you will fill out a Military Service Questionnaire. If you are a spouse or caregiver of a Veteran, please also let us know.